Take a tour through timeless Tahoe at Sugar Pine Point, one of the finest remaining natural areas in Tahoe, and relive the dreams and aspirations of Olympic athletes as you travel along the 1960 Winter Olympic XC trails.
Currently a local group of dedicated stewards are working to restore the Olympic Biathlon trail at Sugar Pine Point State Park so check it out.
1960 Cross Country Ski Trail Map
Sugar Pine Point is a magical spot, and perfect for skiing through one of Tahoe’s quintessential historic estates and one of the finest remaining natural areas in Tahoe.
12 miles (20km) of x-c ski trails guide you through huge old growth pines and open meadows, along General Creek and the 1960 Olympic Biathlon site, and next to the shores of west shore and the historic estate of Ehrman Mansion.
Click here to download the 1960 Cross Country Ski Trail Map.
A few things to know:
- Sorry, fido can’t go on the trails. Dogs are only allowed in the parking areas and must be on a leash.
- Do not walk on the ski trails. Walk and snowshoe to the sides of the trails.
- Day-use parking fees are required. Please self-register at the entrance stations.
- There’s a heated restroom in the General Creek campground.
- Be prepared for severe weather changes.
For further information about Sugar Pine Point State Park, call (530) 525-9528 – but you may not reach anyone. Snow Phone Information Line (530) 525-7982.
About Ed Z’berg – Sugar Pine Point State Park
Sugar Pine Point was the summer home for generations of Washoe Indians who came to these peaceful shores to hunt and fish. Evidence of their occupation can still be seen today in the form of bedrock mortars or grinding rocks just offshore from the Ehrman Mansion.
In 1860, the first permanent settler of record on Lake Tahoe’s west shore built a cabin at the mouth of General Creek. This was the trapper and fisherman William “General” Phipps, and his cabin can still be seen today just north of the State Park pier. In 1884, a resort called Bellevue Hotel was constructed just north of what is now the South Boathouse, and remained a popular summer destination for Lake Tahoe visitors for nine years.
The Hellman-Ehrman Mansion (also known as Pine Lodge), is a summer home built in 1903 in a grove of pine and cedar. From the turn of the century until 1965, the lands of what is now the State Park were owned by financier Isaias W. Hellman, and later by his daughter Florence Hellman. The mansion provides an interesting view into the lifestyles of the wealthy on Lake Tahoe.
The Nature Center located in the day use area by the Ehrman Mansion (open in the summer) has a display of several species of birds, mammals and the four major game fish that occupy the Tahoe Basin. Other exhibits include Biology, Lake Ecology, Wildflowers, Trees, and a “Touchy-feely” table for the kids of all ages.